Sitemap of your WordPress blog is one of the most important aspect of your blog search engine indexing. Sitemap file helps search engine bots to find links on your blog, and that’s how they crawl and index it. I have already specified details earlier on Google crawling and indexing article.
It’s essential for you to create your blog sitemap and submit it to Google Webmaster tool and Bing Webmaster tools for faster indexing and crawling of your site. Now, the big question is how to generate sitemaps for our WordPress blog? In WordPress, there are many plugins which will help you to do it and I will be talking about one simple to sue plugin which you can use to create sitemap for your WordPress blog.
Sitemap feature is recently added to WordPress SEO by yoast plugin, so if you are using SEO by Yoast, you should rather use sitemap feature of that plugin.
Once you have Yoast SEO plugin activated, go to SEO > Sitemap to configure the settings:
If you are not using Yoast SEO, You should use Google XML sitemaps plugin, which is a free plugin and let you optimise your sitemap file.
Google XML sitemaps WordPress plugin helps to create a dynamic sitemap of WordPress blog which is compatible to Google, Bing and yahoo webmaster tools. After creating sitemap all you need to do is submit sitemap to search engine webmaster tools and as soon as you will publish a new post,your sitemap will be automatically updated. To make the most of sitemap, you should point one link from your footer to your sitemap page this ensure the proper indexing of all your links.
Here is how you can use Google XML Sitemap generator plugin:
Features of Google XML sitemap
- User interface to customize all parameters like priorities etc.
- Available in many languages
- Generates automatically a sitemap for all types of WordPress pages
- Calculates a priority for each post, based on the number of comments
- Notifies Ask.com, Google, MSN Live Search and YAHOO about changes via ping
- Includes a WordPress filter for other plugins which can add their pages to the sitemap
- Generates a static XML file as well as a zipped version
So, once you have created sitemap, go ahead and submit it to major search engines. You can follow below two articles, to get started:
Do let me know if you still have any query regarding sitemap creation of your WordPress blog. If you find this article useful, do subscribe to my Email newsletter for more such updates.
- Huawei’s next smartphone ‘cannot use Google apps’
- Video Shows Al-Qaida Uses Google Maps to Plan Attacks
- How Can Attorneys Use Google+ to Generate Business?
- How to Use Google Photos from the Desktop
- Competition concern over Microsoft’s decision to use Google web technology
- Syncing Business Trips Using Google Calendar
- Google teaches how to better use Google
- How this personal injury firm is using Google Glass to get a leg up
- Using Google Alerts to Get Topical News Quickly and Improve Your Content
- How to Use Google Analytics To Improve Your Law Firm Marketing