Set Phasers To Diversion!
I get the feeling that, if you want to think of Star Trek Online and Champions Online as brothers, Star Trek Online is the more successful younger brother who got all the love from mom and dad, while Champions Online was forced to live in the cupboard under the stairs when his room was emptied to make room for the new baby.
In a recent interview with Jack Emmert, Jack announced that Star Trek Online has “well over 100 thousand subscribers,” an announcement that is great…until you look at the lack of announcement of Champions Online’s subscriber numbers. I don’t want to suggest that Champions Online is doing poorly, but I have always said that what someone doesn’t say speaks a lot more than what they do say, and this lack of information in regards to Champions Online may suggest that the game is not going as great as Cryptic had hoped. Champions Online today launched Revelation, the latest expansion pack that brings new villains, new areas, and new perks/costumes/etc.
One bit that caught my eye, at the end, was when Emmert was asked which properties he would like to work with, his answer being “Godzilla and Neverwinter Nights.” Godzilla aside, this will likely reignite longstanding rumors of a Cryptic-run Neverwinter Nights MMO, the same title that is actually part of the Turbine Vs Atari lawsuit (If you recall, Turbine is alleging that Atari hoped to crush Dungeons and Dragons Online in favor of a rumored Neverwinter Nights MMO).
More on all of these things as they appear.
- Neverwinter's Latest Ban Spree is Rocking the Community with Many Pointing Fingers at Cryptic Studios
- Neverwinter Nights MMOG descending in 2011?
- Neverwinter Nights 2 Early Details
- Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir Interview: Party Creation, Trade System, and New Classes
- Neverwinter Nights 2 Designer Diary #4 - The Coolest Things in Neverwinter Nights 2
- Neverwinter Nights Preview
- How devs and fans are coming together to rebuild Neverwinter Nights
- Neverwinter Nights Q&A
- Obsidian developing Neverwinter Nights 2
- Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide Q&A