WordPress is a PHP & database based CMS & is often targeted by hackers.
There are many WordPress plugins are there which are very useful to prevent WordPress hacking. Here I have created a list of Top WordPress Security Plugins which will help you to protect your blog from hackers.
Anyways, many bloggers still fall for such trap and download WordPress premium stuff from unreliable sources. In most of the cases, you will not even realize that your blog is hacked and hacker will be passing link juice to spam site or using it for other unethical uses.
Anyways, we will keep this discussion for some other time and for now, we will look into some of the top WordPress security plugins.
When ever we talk about hardening WordPress security, we suggest some basic security tips like use WordPress backup plugins, implement recaptcha test , secure WordPress directory browsing.
At times, it’s impossible to do all these tasks at once. These mentioned security plugins for WordPress will be helping you by taking care of all basic and advanced WordPress security measures.
It’s not necessary to keep all these WordPress plugins active all the time but it’s a good security practice to run these plugins once in a while, to make sure your WordPress blog is not hacked or contains any malicious code.
List of Top WordPress Security Plugins
If you are planning to use any of these plugin to detect hacked portion of your blog, I suggest you to do following things before using any of these plugin:
- Update your WordPress blog to latest version.
- Update all themes and plugins to latest version.
- Delete any plugins and themes you are not using
- Login to your WordPress blog via FTP and check for files which are modified recently. Most of the time this is the easiest way to find recently modified files. You can also use 2nd WordPress security plugin from the list to find recently modified WordPress file.
With one million downloads & rating as 4.9/5, this is the only security WordPress plugin you will ever need. Before I share the feature of WordFence plugin, check out this video to have an overview.
This plugin let you harden your WordPress blog security & also offer real-time protection. This way, you can get rid of any on-going attack on your WordPress blog.
Sucuri Security – Auditing, Malware Scanner and Security Hardening
All In One WP Security & Firewall
- Change default admin username to any other username of your choice.
- Stop user enumeration. So users/bots cannot discover user info via author permalink.
- Protect WordPress site from Brute force attack
- Force logout all users after specified time.
- See which all users are logged into your WordPress dashboard or site
- You can manually approve user registration.
- Change the WordPress database prefix.
- Identify WordPress files or folder with non secure permission settings
Here is the complete video walkthrough of this plugin:
Anti-Malware Security and Brute-Force Firewall:
This is the first WordPress security plugin which I would recommend you to install and use it to find hacked files. I have tried many plugins, but this plugin helped me 2 times to find the hacked files and quickly fixed my hacked WordPress blog. This plugin scans your hacked blog against multiple known threats and will show you affected file. Below is a screenshot from one of my blog which was hacked around Christmas and I found all the hacked files (It was because of the theme).
You can download the plugin from here.
This plugin scans files daily and can notify via email. link>
Acunetix WP Security
It is an excellent security analyzer plugin for WordPress. It offers multiple features to check your WordPress blog for any modified files in the specified range and you can also enhance the security of your WordPress blog by hiding WordPress informations. You can also change WordPress file permission with this plugin. It also tells about invalid login attempts. You can also change the default WordPress database prefix using this plugin with one click. link>
It is a very good plugin. It scans WordPress files and database and highlights all code which may be suspicious. It shows all suspicious encrypted codes such as base64 decode and hidden code by css. This plugin is very useful for an expert. link>
If you know any other useful security plugin for WordPress blog which deserves to be in this list of top WordPress security plugins, than do let us know via comment. Also, what other method do you use to prevent your WordPress blog from hacking?
- Reality Check: What extra policing do we pay for?
- Belarus speaker on global security architecture: Checks and balances no longer work
- Product :: Orchestrating and Automating Security for the Internet of Things: Delivering Advanced Security Capabilities from Edge to Cloud for IoT
- Retiree Checks to Rise 1.6% Amid Push to Expand Benefits
- China Has ‘Taken the Gloves Off’ in New Hacking Attacks on US
- Can your flight be hacked?
- Smoker trying to quit reveals hack which keeps her hands busy on a night out
- The Cyber-Security 202: Def Con Hackers Couldn't Crack a Mock Voter Database
- EU to Boost Border Security With AI Lie Detectors That Can Spot Illegal Migrants
- Social Security checks to rise modestly amid push to expand benefits