Cloud Computing On March 23, Gillian’s maximum sustained winds peaked near 140 knots/161.1 mph/259.3 kph making it a Category 5 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Scale. Fortunately, Gillian pulled away from Indonesia, so all of the regional warnings were canceled on March 23.At 06:45 UTC on March 23, NASA’s Aqua satellite flew overhead and the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer or MODIS instrument captured a visible image of the storm. In the image, Gillian’s eye had already started to fill in with clouds and was surrounded by a thick band of thunderstorms wrapping around the center of circulation.The Joint Typhoon Warning Center noted that satellite data also showed that convection along the northwest quadrant has started to contract and convection in the southeastern quadrant has continued to stretch out. Whenever a storm elongates, it can’t maintain its speed and strength, much like a tire going flat. By 09:00 UTC/5 a.m. EDT on March 24, Gillian’s strength had waned as maximum sustained winds dropped to 120 knots/138.1 mph/222.2 kph. At that time it was centered near 17.2 south latitude and 103.5 east longitude, about 672 nautical miles/773.3 miles/1,245 km west-northwest of Learmonth, Australia. Gillian was moving toward the south at 10 knots/11.5 mph/ 18.5… Read full this story
- FIRST ALERT FORECAST: Daily scattered thunderstorms starting Sunday; keeping an eye on the tropics
- NASA showcases gorgeous new photo of Jupiter that looks almost too amazing to be real
- A second Chinese space station just plunged perilously close to Earth and we don’t know why
- Swamplike: Tropical Downpours Today
- TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK FORECAST SYNOPSIS…ISSUED JUN. 19, 2018…9:25 P.M. EDT
- African flamingo escaped from Kansas zoo in 2005 spotted in Texas
- In the Know: More Naples restaurants close in June
- Manuel Antonio: 5 can’t-miss tropical wonders
- Best way to see Niagara Falls is up close
- Hurricanes are moving more slowly. That makes them more dangerous.
NASA Spots Tropical Cyclone Gillian's Eye Closing have 294 words, post on www.scientificcomputing.com at March 26, 2014. This is cached page on Make Money Online. If you want remove this page, please contact us.