In my earlier posts I informed you that I’m breaking up with Thesis theme and migrating to Genesis theme. After using Thesis Theme for 4 years, I realised that it was a big mistake to rely on WordPress theme for SEO configuration. Thesis used to be a great theme, but lately it become a dying WordPress theme and especially with fewer support and no support for popular WordPress plugins like SEO by Yoast, I got no reason to stick to it.
I will be moving ShoutMeLoud Theme to Genesis soon, for now I started moving my other WordPress sites to Genesis and for SEO, started using SEO by Yoast. One of the biggest challenge is to move all my SEO settings from Thesis theme to WordPress SEO by Yoast. I bumped into one simple plugin, which can migrate everything from your existing theme to another theme or plugin of your choice.
In this tutorial, I will share about the plugin, share about the process and also few important things that you need to take care of after migrating SEO settings.
SEO Data Transport : Transfer WordPress SEO Settings
SEO Data transport is a free plugin which is available in WordPress plugin repo (It has not been updated for long), but it still works perfectly fine. Using this plugin you can transfer SEO settings within many supported plugins and themes. At the time of writing, this plugin supports
Supported WordPress Themes:
- Thesis (1.x & 2.x)
Supported WordPress plugins:
- Add Meta Tags
- All in One SEO
- Greg’s High Performance SEO
- Meta SEO Pack
- Platinum SEO
- SEO Ultimate
- WordPress SEO
You can transfer SEO settings from any of the above plugin to theme or theme to plugin of your choice. This is useful for anyone who is changing their SEO plugin or changing their theme.
Piece of advice: Use a SEO plugin to manage your blog SEO Settings.
In my situation I was using an older version of Thesis (1.x), and all I had to do is migrate Thesis SEO settings to SEO by Yoast. Here are the steps which I took to migrate my SEO settings:
- Installed Genesis Theme and SEO by Yoast plugin on the blog. (Activate both)
- Installed and activated SEO Data transporter plugin
- Go to tools> SEO Data transport
First click on Analyze which will show all the compatible records that will be migrated. If you see 0 (Zero) compatible records, that means there is no compatible data to be transferred. In my case it showed the compatible data and clicking on Convert, migrated all those to SEO by Yoast plugin.
That’s the simple step you need to take to migrate SEO settings from one theme to another.
Important things to know:
- This plugin will mostly transfer post Meta title, Meta description and Meta Keyword values.
- Others settings like Home title, Home description, Noindex will not be migrated. So you need to configure it manually on new plugin.
- Also after transferring the data, make sure to verify that the SEO data is transferred or not.
Overall SEO Data Transporter is a useful plugin for any WordPress blogger who is changing their theme (If relies on theme for SEO settings) or SEO Plugin.
If you are long stuck with your existing theme or plugin due to same reason as I stated above, it’s your time to make the big move. Don’t forget to share this post with others, as it might help them to learn about transferring SEO values from one plugin to another.
- Lady Vols’ DeShields discusses transfer from UNC
- South Korea youth player Seo Young-jae joins Hamburg
- Why NCAA’s desire to block grad transfers is absolutely absurd
- Nick Saban presents strong/weak arguments against SEC’s new transfer policy
- Korea set to replace goal difference with goals scored
- Friedrich of Germany set to keep 2-man bobsled world title
- Nike releasing ‘Bo knows hockey’ Canadien-themed shoes
- Redskins-themed restaurant set to open in Virginia
- New-look Pelicans set to take flight
- Three in the Kee: The common theme from Chiefs’ rookie minicamp is speed, baby