When it comes to virtual reality (VR) in its current form, Google was one of the first companies out of the gate with Cardboard. But the hardware consists of little more than a set of lenses in a cardboard holder for your smartphone. The Samsung Gear VR is similar in concept, in that it needs a smartphone to serve as your display, but there is a lot more going on here than just a slot to hold your phone. The $99.99 headset is compatible with four different Samsung smartphones, and incorporates some very useful technology into its design. However, VR itself has yet to see a killer app that makes a case for mainstream adoption, and the Gear VR doesn’t change that. It’s the best consumer-level VR headset we’ve tested, though it isn’t much more than a novelty. Still, as far as novelties go, it’s a fun one, and it won’t cost you a fortune. DesignThe Gear VR looks and feels very similar to the Innovator Edition we tested previously. It’s a large, white plastic visor you wear on your face, held in place by a set of elastic and Velcro bands. One large headband stretches around the back of your head behind your ears, and another stretches… Read full this story
- Is virtual reality the next 3D TV? Like VR, it was hyped, pricey and consumers didn't care
- Samsung S6 Edge with curved screen unveiled at MWC
- HP Challenges Facebook and HTC in the High-End VR Market
- CE-NO thank you: 5 things I could do without from CES
- 17 things we're looking forward to in 2017
- Amazon Prime Members: You Still Have a Chance to Buy Holiday Gifts
- Remember virtual reality? Its buzz has faded at CES 2019
- Google Cardboard Is The Right Virtual-Reality Gadget For Right Now. But What’s Next?
- Anne Frank House museum unveils virtual reality tour
- 5G Is Coming Next Year. Here’s What You Need to Know.
Samsung Gear VR have 321 words, post on sea.pcmag.com at December 18, 2015. This is cached page on Make Money Online. If you want remove this page, please contact us.