MMO veterans might be familiar with The Realm (also known as The Realm Online), which was one of the first class of graphical online RPGs. While it’s been trucking along since 1996, creator Stephen Nichols accused the current owners of letting The Realm lapse into “deep neglect” and wants to remake the game for modern sensibilities.
“2016 marks the 20-year anniversary of The Realm Online,” Nichols posted. “If you’re like me, you miss seeing the game thrive and grow as you know it can. I think it’s time for a remake of this internet classic with a fresh coat of paint and updated technology. Perhaps you agree. Yes, it’s time for a Realm remake, and I’m gonna make it happen.”
To wit, Nichols put up a Go Fund Me page to help raise $50,000 to finance initial promotion and preproduction for this “spiritual successor” called The Realm: Reawakened (not to be confused with FFXIV: A Realm Reborn). It will still be a 2-D room-based game, albeit one with updated graphics, cross-platform access, and improved technology. He admitted that he does not have the rights to the original game, although he’s in talks with the current owners.
Nichols said that he’s putting some of his own money into the game and has plans for a greater Kickstarter campaign in the future. How long could it take for a Realm remake to get off the ground? Nichols said that it could conceivably happen by the end of the year:
It’s my belief that The Realm: Reawakened has the potential to entertain a lot of people. The simple point-and-cick adventure style is very accessible and encourages a form of social play not found in many other products.
The original game has touched a great many people, fostered lifelong relationships, and helped to define what online gaming meant for countless folks. I want to bring that experience to more people!
I also believe that, with proper funding, we can release a playable version of The Realm: Reawakened in 2016. The first step on that journey, though, is driving the preproduction and preparing to fundraise on Kickstarter.
- Volkswagen’s electric racecar breaks 20-year-old Goodwood hill climb record
- 20-year-old giraffe at Reid Park Zoo in Tucson dies
- 20-Year-Old Fatally Shot On CTA Platform At Howard Street: Police
- 20-year-old will be youngest woman elected in Iowa history
- Harry Potter is 20 years old - and the boy wizard is worth a staggering £19billion
- Aussie Police Offer Reward in 20-Year-Old AC/DC Murder Case
- The 20-Year-Old Features Hidden In Your Mac
- 20 Year Old Bug Breaks Internet Encryption: How To Tell if Your Browser is Affected
- Lori Loughlin’s Daughter Olivia Jade Turns 20 Years Old
- State Police Used ‘Deadly Force’ Against Alleged Abductor Of 15-Year-Old Girl In Luzerne County