Over the past decade, the women’s magazine has undergone a radical makeover. While 00s glossies consisted largely of insidious bodyshaming and bankrupting shoe recommendations, in recent years female-centric journalism has migrated online, simultaneously shifting its gaze to social justice, mental health and the hitherto hidden realities of womanhood. It has not always been a smooth transition: last week, the online women’s magazine the Debrief announced its closure, with its parent company, Bauer Media, deciding to refocus resources into its print product Grazia. Last year, Sarah Millican’s Standard Issue shut, while US website the Hairpin followed suit in January. Yet a host of other publications remain committed to doing things differently. Here, the women behind London-based site gal-dem and Mille World, an online magazine aimed at Arab readers, explain why they are determined to reimagine the women’s magazine as a force for positive change.RA Mille World Sofia Guellaty launched Mille World out of frustration that it did not already exist. She was looking for a publication that engaged with what it meant to be a young Arab woman. Versace, Dior, Calvin Klein and Chanel were sending hijabs down their runways, but who was catering to the savvy, cosmopolitan Arab women looking… Read full this story
- Tammy Bruce: Trump's Portland intervention decried by Dems who are enabling chaos
- The Observer withdraws Julie Burchill column as editor publishes apology
- Kim Kardashian may have broken the internet, but Caitlyn Jenner united it
- Live coverage: Cohen clashes with GOP over Trump allegations
- What is the plan for the return of axed Bauer mags
- OnlyFans founder making millions during lockdown is 37-year-old banker’s son
- 6 Things to Know About Rebekah Harkness, the Muse Behind Taylor Swift's 'The Last Great American Dynasty'
- Superstar Gamer Tyler "Ninja" Blevins Sets a Course for Hollywood
From glossies to gal-dem: the websites revolutionising women’s media have 294 words, post on www.theguardian.com at May 1, 2018. This is cached page on Make Money Online. If you want remove this page, please contact us.