ChandigarhPosted at: May 19, 2018, 2:25 AM; last updated: May 19, 2018, 2:25 AM (IST)Also in this sectionMoolah beckons varsity studentsNow, UT police get HCrap for snatchingsRevive teaching scheme: VolunteersOf 15,000 pets in city, only 6,441 registered with civic bodyCHB to make transfer of properties easierMohit Khanna Tribune News Service Chandigarh, May 18 After conducting a raid at the fruit and vegetable market in Sector 26 last month, the Health Department has been going soft on people involved in artificial ripening of fruits. The use of calcium carbide is rampant in the fruit market. Besides, the market is full of sachets of the Chinese ethylene powder. It is being sold as a legal fruit ripening agent. In common parlance, both products are known as “masala”. Sources said many small-time grocers were keeping calcium carbide with them. However, due to the fear of the department, the chemical was sold only to select fruit traders. However, it was easily available in the market and nearby Ram Darbar. Prof JS Thakur from the School of Public Health, PGI, while sharing his experience, said: “Recently, I visited a vegetable market to buy fruits. I asked a vegetable seller whether he was using ‘masala’ on… Read full this story
- Indiana Wine Grape Growers See Fruitful Season
- Let’s Talk Food: Abiu, an exotic fruit from the Amazon
- What is that funky smell going on in New York City?
- From fruit thieves to road kill, squirrels are everywhere this summer
- From fruit thieves to road kill, those $%^#! squirrels are everywhere
- Farmers markets in Phoenix for fresh fruit, produce, fish, meat, bread
- Trix cereal is getting remade to look like fruit. Here's why
- The 60 Best Songs Ever Written About New York City
- Tropical Gardening Helpline: Hawaii Tropical Fruit Growers Conference offers knowledge by the bushel
- Brickell Residents Flip Out as City Tears Out Grass, Replaces It With Fake Turf
No check on artificial ripening of fruits in city have 295 words, post on www.tribuneindia.com at May 18, 2018. This is cached page on Make Money Online. If you want remove this page, please contact us.