Fears of second dam collapse as mudslide leaves 250 missing Independent.ie Firefighters yesterday called for the evacuation of some 24,000 people from the Brazilian town hit by a deadly mudslide from a ruptured mining dam as rains added to concerns a second dam could collapse. https://www.independent.ie/world-news/fears-of-second-dam-collapse-as-mudslide-leaves-250-missing-37755079.html https://www.independent.ie/incoming/article37754019.ece/bb432/AUTOCROP/h342/P20.fears1.jpg Email Firefighters yesterday called for the evacuation of some 24,000 people from the Brazilian town hit by a deadly mudslide from a ruptured mining dam as rains added to concerns a second dam could collapse. Sirens began blaring before dawn, triggered by dangerous water levels at a tailings dam still standing near an iron ore mine owned by Vale SA near Brumadinho in Minas Gerais state. “We have a situation of imminent risk, but there hasn’t been a rupture of this dam until now and we are monitoring it,” said Pedro Aihara, a spokesman for the state fire department. He said they believed the situation was dangerous. The second dam being monitored is about 50 metres from the burst dam and part of a large industrial complex. The evacuation efforts diverted attention from the search for hundreds of people missing after Friday’s burst dam unleashed a torrent of mud, burying the mining facilities… Read full this story
- From dust bowls to overflowing dams, the difference a week of rain makes in drought-ravaged Queensland
- Africa Will Suffer as Donald Trump Leaves the Paris Agreement and Abdicates U.S. Leadership on Climate Change
- Now A&E medic has coronavirus: Virus fear grips UK as NHS hospital worker is among eight with deadly bug including GP and scout leader - while 'drug lord' extradited from Thailand collapses sparking prison panic
- 'Kingpin has coronavirus': Suspected drug dealer who was extradited from Thailand 'collapses in Oxfordshire jail sparking fears he will spark cluster of cases among prisoners and staff'
- We're going nowhere! Cumbrian villagers hit by SECOND terrible flood in five years vow to rebuild their lives once again
- Fears of 'Humanitarian Crisis' in Florida Keys as 5 Are Killed and 5.8 Million Remain Without Power After Irma
- NINE people are confirmed to have coronavirus in the US as the second evacuation flight heads to China to bring citizens home as global death toll reaches 305
- Why has Britain still not barred visitors from who've been to China within last 14 days? Fears of a spike in UK coronavirus cases as US, Australia and New Zealand introduce strict rules
- Truth silenced again: An outspoken citizen is missing in Wuhan days after another died
- Parental leave changes planned in move welcomed by parents of premature babies
Fears of second dam collapse as mudslide leaves 250 missing have 433 words, post on www.independent.ie at January 27, 2019. This is cached page on Make Money Online. If you want remove this page, please contact us.