MARYLAND — There’s a strong chance your parents or grandparents have already gotten a call or two trying to scare them into forking over their money. Some thieves pose as grandchildren who have been jailed or stranded in need of cash, while another ploy is to pose an Internal Revenue Service agent demanding gift cards to settle bogus tax claims.See below for tips on what you can do right now to protect yourself and your relatives. The “grandparent scam,” for example, tries to trick elderly residents into believing their grandchild or another loved one has been thrown in jail, kidnapped or faces some other immediate peril that requires an immediate wire transfer of money or even an iTunes gift card. Clever con artists use sophisticated technology that includes recordings of the supposedly ransomed grandchild’s voice, making the calls seem frighteningly real. In another version of the scam, someone pretends to be the loved one — accounting for the change in voice by claiming a broken nose. The scammers were convincing enough to steal $42 million from their victims over a recent 15-month period, according to a report to the Senate Special Committee on Aging, which is looking into scams against… Read full this story
- 'James Bond-style' private eye - who conned Madeleine McCann's parents out of £300,000 claiming he could find her - died in fall at Surrey home before being found covered in blood, coroner rules
- 'I was investing in a dream': Black-ish star Jenifer Lewis admits she was 'humiliated' after her 'charming' gym manager lover conned her out of $50K - as she recalls thinking, 'God sent him to me'
- Serial fraudster, 28, caught in Sydney after being put into foster care by 'posing as 13-year-old schoolgirl and scamming an iPad, mobile phones and travel cards from charity'
- Gym manager, 57, who claimed to be Navy Seal and Oxford University professor scammed Black-ish star Jenifer Lewis and three other women in $400,000 romance con
- Scam text 'warning' people they have been close to a person with COVID-19 targets British public ahead of national rollout of NHS contact-tracing app
- Over eight MILLION viewers tuned in to watch Queen's VE-Day speech as she addressed the nation exactly 75 years after her father King George VI did at the end of WWII in Europe
- FG’s school feeding Programme, a big scam – PDP
- How Would You Like $2 Million to Steal Elvis' Coffin?
- Tinder set to add video chatting to the app next month so millions of users can date virtually while under coronavirus lockdown
- Pinkerton: California to Mail Out 21 Million Ballots. What Could Go Wrong?
MD Scam Alert: Cons That Steal Millions From Aging Parents have 421 words, post on patch.com at April 6, 2019. This is cached page on Make Money Online. If you want remove this page, please contact us.