A board game is any type of game that is played on a marked surface (board). In addition to the board, there are usually pieces that are used to move across the board in various ways, depending on the game being played. There are literally thousands of board games. Some are simple and considered family entertainment, while others are intricate and involve a plan or strategy in order to win.
Although board games have been played in most cultures since the earliest civilizations, they became widely popular during the early 20th century with the rise of the middle class who had time to spend and money to burn. Board games can be described in two basic categories – luck and strategy. Most children’s games like Candy Land and Chutes and Ladders are based on luck. Games like Monopoly and Risk are based on both luck and strategy. For example, in Monopoly you wish for luck when you shake the dice to land on a good piece of property for sale. Then you must think strategically to decide whether or not it is worth purchasing or investing more money in. Chess, on the other hand, is a game of pure strategy.
There is also a certain amount of diplomacy involved in many board games. Games involving three or more players can involve diplomacy whereby players convince other players to team up with them, make deals, etc.
Many board games are now being replaced with computer games. For example, the option to play Scrabble online and compete with other players is a popular example. There are hundreds of sites that offer hundreds of board games for young and old alike. As a matter of fact, the success of online computer games has led to a serious decline in board game sales.
- Trump Suspends Tariffs on Board Games and Toys from China, for Now Anyway
- Fan Creates Beautiful Fire Emblem Board Game
- New Board Game Looks Very Darkest Dungeon
- Fireball Island, One of the Coolest '80s Board Games, Is Getting a Reboot
- New Street Fighter Board Game Looks Really Cool
- Street Fighter board game passes $400k Kickstarter target inside 24 hours
- The Hellboy Tabletop Board Game Will Turn You Into a Member of the B.P.R.D.
- Mapmaker, A Board Game About Gerrymandering And How Terrible It Is
- Dr. Horrible Board Game Kickstarter Cancelled Because It Didn't Get The License
- How To Win At Game Of Thrones (The Board Game)