Gamigo’s dropping something new next week, according to a tweet the company just sent out. MMO players will recall that Gamigo’s the German company that bought up Trion’s assets last year and currently maintains ArcheAge, RIFT, Trove, and the Defiance franchise.
The tweet says “something’s brewing” and leads to a website – under the old Trion domain, press F, etc. – that promises a big reveal six days from now, conveniently in time for Gamescom.
The quotes showing up on the teaser page are all over the map – and timeline – with some being recent and some as old as five years. One references “labor points,” while others talk about farming, pay-to-win, housing, sandboxes, and pirate armadas – which all seem to suggest to us that it’s something to do with ArcheAge.
It’d certainly be interesting if Gamigo were moving on ArcheAge, given that it was once one of the bigger and more creative MMORPGs in its heyday. Last January, Gamigo said that it had “reached an agreement” as to the development of the game with XL Games had increased the size of the ArcheAge team, though we haven’t seen much to justify that this year beyond Hiram updates – at least not yet. At the time, the company’s Mervin Lee Kwai, one of the key Trion folks to survive the layoffs, also suggested an aggressive monetization do-over was in order. “We’ll do that by evaluating our business models and phasing out some of the older, aggressive micro-transactions along with reducing the reliance on lockboxes,” he said. “Instead, we’ll focus on selling the service and optional objective rewards through modern, hybridized models.”
- The best places in Texas to stargaze during Dark Sky Week
- Podmass spooks during Horrors Week
- Vaping-related lung injuries rise to 1,888 cases nationwide, CDC says
- Robert Smigel on the unusually naturalistic Adam Sandler Netflix comedy ‘The Week Of’
- Entertainment Weekly Will Go Monthly
- Maisie Williams to Lead New Comedy Series Two Weeks To Live
- Rob Zombie Announces 3 From Hell Trailer Arriving Next Week
- Chris Rock's Saw To Begin Shooting Next Week
- My Pregnancy Diary: 19-24 Weeks
- Adam Sandler & Chris Rock Reunite for Netflix's The Week Of Trailer