The problem with writing about Dustin Martin is there’s no-one to compare him to. There’s no obvious reference point. People throw around names like Millane and Ricciuto, mainly because they had similar physiques, similar struts, similar locomotion. But they were completely different footballers. Martin is unprecedented. For columnists, for opposition coaches and for defenders marooned one-on-one with him in an open forward line, it makes him almost impossible to get a handle on. There’s a bit of Gary Ablett Snr about him – the shyness, the distant stare, the brute power, the legs that could prop up a jetty, the titanic talent. Certainly, of all the footballers I’ve seen, only Martin draws your eye the way Ablett did. But Ablett was a different proposition altogether. Watching him as a kid, my default reaction was often laughter. Apparently I wasn’t the only one. When they flash to the crowd during his highlights packages, the fans are invariably pissing themselves. He often gave the impression that he didn’t comprehend how good he was. He tottered around like he didn’t know what day it was. Everything about him operated anticlockwise. He was never at one with the rhythm of a game. He’d boot… Read full this story
- Don DeLillo and Martin Amis’s New Books Are Lazy Versions of Their Greatest Hits
- Washington comes back from big deficit to defeat Eagles in Ron Rivera's debut
- EXCLUSIVE: 'All it's missing is Jon Snow and a couple of dragons!' GoT author George R.R. Martin submits plans to build fantasy castle in his New Mexico backyard - but his neighbors aren't bending the knee!
- Martin Lewis warns furloughed workers to check payslips now in case you’ve been underpaid
- Aston Martin Autosport BRDC Award finalists revealed
- Design icon Sir Terence Conran who founded the retail giant Habitat and opened more than 50 restaurants in remarkable 65-year career dies peacefully at home aged 88
- Has haggling Andy just lost MILLIONS for Greater Manchester? Moment 'showboating' Burnham is told area 'will get just £22million' as Boris refuses to detail Tier 3 lockdown package – but No10 insists 'generous' £60million offer remains
- Every Leonardo DiCaprio Movie Performance, Ranked
- Oakland weighs banning homeless camps near homes, businesses, schools
- Pac-12 missed its best shot at College Football Playoff before season even started
Dustin Martin comes of age but crocodilian menace remains have 379 words, post on www.theguardian.com at September 19, 2019. This is cached page on Make Money Online. If you want remove this page, please contact us.