When a white ex-Dallas police officer recounted her thinking as she fired the two shots that killed an innocent black man in his own living room last year, she told a jury it was fear, not racism, that drove her to pull the trigger. “This is not about hate,” she testified in court Friday. “It’s about being scared.” But after a jury convicted Amber Guyger, 31, of murder on Tuesday, prosecutors introduced text messages sent by the former officer that show her making offensive statements. In the texts, Guyger jokes about Martin Luther King Jr.’s death, mocks her black colleagues and discusses a dog that her friend warns “may be racist.” “It’s okay. I’m the same,” Guyger wrote back about the dog, just days before she fatally shot 26-year-old Botham Jean in his Dallas apartment on Sept. 6, 2018. One minute later, she texted again, “I hate everything and everyone but y’all.” Prosecutors will use Guyger’s texts, her social media posts and her disciplinary record as a police officer to argue for a harsher sentence, though they haven’t specified what length of prison term they will request. The jury will decide her sentence, which could range from five years to… Read full this story
- Tulsa Police officer Betty Shelby faces trial for killing unarmed black man
- 12 Mexico police officers killed while investigating beheadings of 10 people in drug-related violence
- French police officer killed, street sweeper injured in shootout in southern Paris
- Wife of former South Carolina police officer Michael Slager says he feared for his life the day he shot Walter Scott
- In Delaware, police officers on edge
- Las Vegas police officers gunned down at pizza restaurant, one civilian killed
- DA: 'He wanted to kill police officers'
- Dover man shot by police officer faces weapons charges
- Two years later, family remembers man shot and killed by Hackensack police officers
- Frenchman busted in Bulgaria for terror ties to Kouachis as slain police officers mourned by officials in Paris
White police officer who killed innocent black man in his home had sent offensive texts have 322 words, post on www.dailyherald.com at October 2, 2019. This is cached page on Make Money Online. If you want remove this page, please contact us.