Materials scientists have created biodegradable flip flops made from algae to help reduce the amount of harmful plastic waste entering our oceans. The experts created polyurethane foams, made from algae oil, to meet commercial specifications for flip-flops and other footwear usually made from flexible plastic. Cheap and affordable flip flops, the world’s most popular shoe, are commonly used for short periods and discarded after a few uses due to flimsy materials. Once discarded, flip flops take hundreds of years to decompose and can enter the oceans, killing marine life and contaminating water supplies. But this commercial-grade foam degrades in compost and soil after 16 weeks, meaning it would break down if it drifted into the ocean. The foam meets commercial requirements for the foot-bed of flip-flops as well as the cushioning midsole section of shoes. Researchers formulated polyurethane foams, made from algae oil, to meet commercial specifications for midsole shoes and the foot-bed of flip-flops RELATED ARTICLES Previous 1 2 Next Forget flip flops: Bizarre stick-on soles let you walk on… Remote island of St Helena in the South Atlantic Ocean is… A boat made of FLIP FLOPS? Vessel built from 30,000 items of… Share this article Share ‘The life of material… Read full this story
- Brink: Sure, forgo straws and shopping bags, but innovation is key to tackling plastic waste
- We asked readers for tips on how to cut down on plastics. Here are 24 ideas they gave us.
- ‘Planetary Health Diet’: Scientists Say Cutting Red Meat, Sugar Can Save Lives And The Planet
- Girl Scout convinces companies to cut down on millions of plastic straws
- Allbirds wants to fix your sole
- News From The Forbidden Zone Is Alarmingly Bad (Fukushima)
- Your H&M addiction is wreaking havoc on the environment. Here’s how to break it
- Making Playgrounds a Little More Dangerous
- What you need to know about claims that whole grains can prevent diabetes
- Fashion startups are already proving a Green New Deal could work
Scientists develop biodegradable flip flops made from ALGAE to help reduce the amount of plastic waste that ends up on seashores and in the oceans have 317 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at August 7, 2020. This is cached page on Make Money Online. If you want remove this page, please contact us.